Frequent travelers are intimately familiar with the term “Baggage claim” and the meaning behind it. A nightmare of epic proportions!
No one understands this more than me, which is why I have put together a comprehensive analysis and tested some of the best Ultra lightweight luggage sets in 2021 to help you get through the airport quickly and easily.
In the following article I have summarised my findings, and identified some of the best “Baggage claim ” in the following Ultra lightweight luggage reviews in 2021.
You will find a strong range of products for both men and women in a variety of colours, patterns and functionality. For some of you, this might be a new type of luggage, so I have explained all the benefits and drawbacks, and highlighted important factors to consider.
Do you know what you are looking for when purchasing luggage? Let’s break it down into a few categories:
What’s your style? Colour, pattern, accessories, functionality? What do you pack? Light, heavy, bulky or delicate? How do you like to travel? To a resort, for business or on a safari? Do you want to go hands-free? Luggage & Backpacks?
|Samsonite Freeform Hardside Expandable||Best Overall|
|Olympia 8 Pocket Rolling Duffel Bag||Budget Pick|
|Lucas Designer Luggage Collection||Upgrade Pick|
1. Samsonite Freeform Hardside Expandable
- Versatile in terms of suitcase style
- Four wheels make for easy movement
- Aesthetically pleasing appearance
If you travel frequently for work, you know that some companies simply don’t supply you with luggage (often overnight trips).
Having a sturdy set of luggage that can hold a ton is necessary if you’re wanting to be a freelancer. This piece of luggage by Samsonite is an awesome option because it’s useful for both business and personal trips.
This 21” spinner suitcase can expand to 23”, giving you extra space for a week-long trip. There are four wheels to make transporting a breeze and a sturdy handle that can withstand a lot of weight. You can put an amazingly large amount of stuff in this suitcase, and it will still remain very lightweight. The overall style is very nice and professional, which is great because you don’t have to worry about looking “slick” when you’re packing.
2. IT Luggage 27.6" World's Lightest 8 Wheel Spinner
- Constructed from IT Luggage's proprietary Nano-Lite Nylon material
- The wheel and handle feature Heli-Arc
- Expandable from 20" to 27.5" to accommodate longer clothing items
- custom-fit packing cubes, compression cubes, waist pack and garment covers available for purchase
- Free lifetime warranty for product defect or damage
- A little bit pricey
- Has a plastic smell out of the box
If you are looking for a lightweight luggage that has spaciousness and reliability, this is the one that you are looking for. This 27.6-inch spinner suitcase is made of IT Luggage's proprietary nano lightweight material that ensures the lightest luggage in the world.
It has a lightweight and durable construction that offers the most powerful protection. IT Luggage is able to construct this model from its proprietary material and can hold the same amount of weight as any conventional luggage, all with less weight.
3. Travelpro Maxlite 5-Softside Expandable Spinner Wheel Luggage
- Price is very reasonable
- Sturdy and rolled handles drop down for a lower profile when not in use
- Comes with a built-in TSA lock
- Wheels can be a little shaky
- Smaller inside than you’d expect
Among all the travel backpacks out there, the Travelpro Maxlite 5-is the best lightweight luggage you can expect from a travel backpack. Not only does it feel as luxurious as it appears, but the backpack is extremely lightweight.
The Travelpro Maxlite 5 fits all the airlines’ carry-on requirements and still has ample room to store all your gear. The side pockets are large enough to fit your water bottle and all the other things you want to have with you, but the size is such that the bottle doesn’t take up your main bag space.
The main compartment has two compartments, which you can also zip together to get a larger storage space for bigger and bulkier items.
4. Eagle Creek Gear Warrior Carry Luggage Softside 2-Wheel Rolling Suitcase
- Built to last
- Large capacity and storage
- The handles make transportation easy
- Affordable price
- Easy to clean
- Not water resistant
- Might feel flimsy to some customers
- Not international travel friendly
This is an excellent choice for travelers who are trying to stick to a budget. The wheels roll smoothly across any surfaces, and the luggage is large enough to ensure you have adequate storage space for all of the clothes, shoes, snacks, and beauty products you might need for those 24-hour layovers.
The Eagle Creek Gear Warrior comes with a TSA-approved lock so that you can rest easy knowing that your stuff is safe from any would-be busbanders while you’re traveling.
5. Kenneth Cole Reaction Out Of Bounds 2-Piece Lightweight Hardside 4-Wheel Spinner Luggage Set: 20" Carry-On & 28" Checked Suitcase
- Only 4.8 pounds combined!
- Expandable to 30% more packing space
- Two-wheel spinners with large stand
- Retractable handle and locking zippers
- Smaller carry-on size
- Locks are simple and not TSA-compatible
For all the travelers out there, this ingenious 2-piece luggage set from Ken Cock would make a perfect companion to most of your travel needs.
The luggage features a large main compartment, which is expandable to give 30% more packing space. Inside you will find a cleverly designed interior with various organizational features to help you better keep your stuff organized.
The interior is fully lined in a vibrant, black-and-white two-toned fabric, which is complemented by top and side handles. The two-wheel spinners each have large stands to help you easily transport both in and out of the overhead compartment.
6. Ben Sherman Luggage Nottingham 28" Embossed PAP 4-Wheel Luggage
- TSA-approved lock
- 28" cabin-ready size
- Main compartment is a hard shell
- 2 AWNINGTM pockets
- Protective rain cover
- Expandable to one inch
- Delivered in 3-4 business days
- Water resistant
- Interior doesn’t have a lot of extra pockets
- Wheels are made of heavy plastic
The Ben Sherman Luggage Nottingham 28-inch is an ultra lightweight hard-shell that can hold a large amount of stuff while weighing so little. This suitcase is made of a very durable vinyl-polyester fabric that will keep its structure. It’s not too big despite holding quite a lot of clothes.
The four wheels also roll very smoothly and very quietly. This is a very durable and strong bag that will help you enjoy your next trip. It comes with an easy-to-use combination TSA lock.
The Delsey Luggage Helium Aero is made of carbon fiber and has a lightweight structure. This makes it one of the most compact and lightweight bags on the market. The design of the luggage is based on aesthetic aspects, with a specific focus on durability.
7. Kenneth Cole Reaction Dot Matrix 20" Lightweight Expandable 4-Wheel Spinner Carry-On Luggage
- Small but very spacious
- Two ways to lock
- Cabin friendly and expandable
- Lightweight but very durable
- Spinner wheels for smooth gliding and great maneuverability
- Side pockets
The Dot Matrix is a top-rated lightweight luggage by buyers for its amazing slender shape, amazing packing capacity, easy maneuverability, and superior sturdiness. It’s available in eleven different color options.
This spinner suitcase has a generous design and can double as a weekend bag. It’s easy to pack with a shoulder strap and a carrying handle, so you can carry it comfortably.
The suitcase weighs only four pounds, which is super light for any luggage pieces.
8. Samsonite Aspire Xlite Softside Expandable Luggage
- Easy to move on and off by your own
- Extremely lightweight for convenience
- Easy to store thanks to the handle design
- Smooth mobility
- Flexible material may not be durable in some cases
- Wheels are not too thick and they can be rusted easily
Samsonite is well-known for its high quality and durable luggage. When it comes to all the benefits you can ask for from a luggage, Samsonite is one of the most reliable options. It is made with lightweight polycarbonate and ABS. It is available in various sizes to fit your needs. Samsomite note that the Samsonite luggage is strong enough to be fully checked in, no worries.
If you are looking for the best ultra lightweight luggage, this is exactly what you need. It comes with 5 different size options. The largest can hold the biggest baggage for accommodating your cabinet or something else. It is extremely lightweight. They come with spinner wheels that are designed to roll comfortably and offer smooth mobility. These wheels are extremely durable and rustproof.
9. Travelpro Maxlite 5-Softside Lightweight Underseat Rolling Tote Bag
- Available in multiple sizes
- Available in multiple colors
- Comfortable handle and backpack straps
- High-density foam gives it a solid base to stand on
- Handle is removable for easy storage
This sleek yet tough bag comes in multiple sizes and colors, and works equally well in your hand as it does on a luggage cart. I particularly like that the handle is removable so that you can easily store the bag when the space is limited, like in most hotel rooms.
The bag comes with multiple protective, soft reinforced panels, high density foam, and a three-piece protective top flap for the ultimate in protection. The handles are padded and the durable wheels let you glide from gate to gate effortlessly.
I hope you liked the book and on the quick start guide for the best men’s camping gear in 2020 and took some value out of it.
10. Betsey Johnson 26 Inch Checked Luggage Collection
- Super lightweight
- Spacious interior
- Can be water resistant if blasted with water
- Polycarbonate construction
- A little more expensive than some similar bags
Sometimes you just can’t fit everything you need to take on a trip onto a single backpack. Whether you’re traveling internationally or just have too much stuff to take with you on a weekend getaway, a suitcase can be a real lifesaver.
If you’re in the market for a quality case to carry your stuff around, the Betsey Johnson 26 Inch checked luggage collection is a great option. It is a framed polycarbonate case with plenty of room in it for one or two people. The interior is spacious enough to hold up to 8 pieces of standard size clothing. This is actually a lighter case than some similar pieces of luggage…something to keep in mind if you're concerned about having to lug a bunch of extra pounds around.
The exterior of the case is designed for durability and style. You can enjoy a beautiful modern print on the exterior of the case, and if you want to be extra careful with your bag, it’s protected from scrapes and scratches with a layer of polyurethane treatment.
11. Merax Hardside Spinner Luggage 24 inch Luggage Lightweight Spinner Suitcase
- Can carry weights up to 50lbs
- Very lightweight
- Large wheels for easy spinning
- TSA approved locks for airport security
- Easy-to-use TSA combination locks
- Smooth spinning wheels that is road worthy
- Waterproof Polyester
- Top and side carry handles
- Spot clean with soft cloth
- Pretty expensive
- Doesn’t hold much weight
The Merax Hardside Spinner luggage is a high quality piece of luggage. This suitcase features a lightweight design and construction. It is made of a sturdy polyester that is waterproof. It has the ability to hold up to 50 lbs.
The interior of this suitcase is spacious and has plenty of room for your belongings. There are two large zipper compartments that can fit your clothes, socks, shoes, and toiletries.
The exterior of this suitcase is available in three different colors: red, black, and blue. It has a hard exterior that is durable and protects its contents. It also features two large zippered pockets that can hold personal items like make-up, valuables, and documents. The suitcase also has a TSA approved combination lock for airport security.
12. Lucas Designer Luggage Collection
- Breathable and Durable Very Lightweight
- Spinner Wheels Plus 360 Degree Swivels
- 3 Piece Set Includes Carry On, 24 Inch & 28 Inch Checked Suitcases
- Front Zipper Opening
- Warranty Instructions and Care
- Lifetime Warranty
- Interior Zipper Pocket Isn't Large Enough To Fit A Tablet
- Suitcase Fabric Can Be Too Lightweight
- Lightweight But Still Durable and Padding
- Spinner Wheels Are Great for Convenience
- Lightweight And Affordable Material For Being Spinner Suitcase
The Lucas Designer Luggage Collection looks like nice quality travel luggage set. It's very comfortable to carry. Nice cosmetic with a good quality for the price. Very lightweight and functional.
The 3 piece set is easy to travel with. They roll great and made to last a long time.
If you looking for lightweight but functional suitcase that would be perfect for your travel. This luggage set will serve you well.
13. Steve Madden Designer Luggage Collection
- Durable mid-sized Lightweight Checked Suitcase
- Expandable 24 Inch Softside Bag
- 4-Rolling Spinner Wheels
- Top and side grab handles
- Telescoping handle for easy lifting and maneuvering
- Made of Polyester
- Dimensions: 24x14x8
- Weight: 11 lbs
This Steve Madden Suitcase is a budget-friendly option for those looking for a solid 24-inch suitcase. It comes in a few different colors, and though it’s made out of polyester, it’s still a sturdy suitcase that’s tough and will hold up for years.
I love how lightweight this suitcase is, it’s just right for travelers who don’t want to have to deal with the hassle of awkwardly heavy bags. The sturdiness of the bag is a great and surprising bonus for a product that is this lightweight.
The suitcase has a telescoping handle and 360-degree spinner wheels so you can easily maneuver it wherever you need to go. This suitcase also has a lockable zipper for safety; this is great for travel to protect your belongings while you travel.
14. Olympia 8 Pocket Rolling Duffel Bag
- Padded handles and shoulder straps
- Tie-down inside to keep things organized and protected
Olympia is a well-known brand amongst frequent flyers, and it’s easy to see why once you see their luggage. The Olympia 8 Pocket Rolling Duffel is a simple, versatile duffel bag with a wheeled design. It’s a perfect bag for somebody who’s looking for an affordable option that’s large enough to hold a fair amount of clothes.
The duffel bag has plenty of pockets inside and outside of the main compartment. You can feel free to load it up with clothes without the fear of rummaging through the entire bag to find what you need. It’s a great bag for long weekends or a short, simple business trip.
The bag features suiter-like pockets for your suit and other delicate clothing. You can choose to stick them inside the main compartment or take advantage of the bag’s full capacity and carry extra clothes that won’t be wrinkled when you need them.
15. it luggage 27.4" Quilte Lightweight Expandable Spinner
- Ultra lightweight
- Nice quality
- Comes with an extra base
- Flexible, removable dividers
- It meets international carry-on requirements
- Customer service is outstanding
- It's small – very small.
- Very hard to pack.
- Handle is a little awkwardly designed, rated high for aesthetics but not functionality.
It luggage is among the lightest travel bags you can buy and, in comparison to other lightweight bags, it is remarkably comfortable. In fact, I would say it's the most comfortable bag I've ever tested.
The design of this bag mirrors the Vancini was well as the Rema T, and it's no surprise that the three bags share a similar heritage: they're all designed by a single company (it luggage).
While the luggage is amazingly comfortable and beautiful, it's on the smaller side. While it's technically a carry-on, it barely has enough room to hold what most would put in a carry-on.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What is the lightest and most durable luggage?
So many manufacturers are racing to make lightweight suitcases and luggage, that there's no clear winner.
Almost every big or small name in luggage has some sort of line of lightweight and durable luggage. They come in all kinds of colors, styles, and sizes. For the traveler who wants the best lightweight and durable luggage, we recommend buying the brand, suitcase or travel bag you trust.
Check out each of the below brands for some of the most durable, lightweight luggage you can buy.
Which brand of luggage is the lightest?
In our search for the lightest luggage, we tested 65 different bags. The lightest luggage we reviewed was the Travelon Anti-Theft Signature Lite Metro weighing in at a mere 12 ounces.
What is the best lightweight hardside luggage?
Lightweight suitcases are the ones preferred by frequent travelers. They are more durable than soft luggage since they are mainly made of polycarbonate. The models that have this material are lighter, easier to maneuver and more resistant to wear and tear. However, soft luggage is softer and has more room space, which is important if you’re planning to travel with lots of clothes and shoes.
The lightweight suitcases offer a strong, hard shell, which makes them more difficult to squeeze into the overhead compartments. However, the sizes and weights are more convenient if you’re flying since the tickets charge luggage rates by weight and their weight is usually 10 to 15 pounds less than the weight of the soft luggage.
Although, the lightweight hardside luggage are more difficult to get in and out of the car, they do offer more protection while avoiding dragging or getting dirty. We recommend choosing the right luggage based on your travel necessities.
What is the best lightweight luggage for international travel?
Size and weight are the two most critical aspects to consider. I would recommend you get something that can hold between 15-20kg of weight. The bag should be no more than 22in in total length. If you are storing the bag in the overhead compartment of a plane, you'll want to make sure it is small enough to fit there.
The bag will have to fit on your back, so it's important that you can lift it over your head comfortably without pain in your shoulders, neck, or back. It is also important to note that you will need to carry more than one item, so consider getting a backpack that has lots of compartments to store your items.
I use a lot of baggage and never bother to check in because it is too much of a hassle and way too expensive. While walking through the airport doesn't allow me to pack as much stuff and can be a bit annoying, lugging around a spotless, lightweight luggage set can be a huge benefit.
In my opinion, the travel experts and luggage designers have gotten their craft down to a science, and I think my goal is to narrow the options to the top 15 ultra light luggage sets of 2021. I have done some research on the top sellers on amazon and have used it as my guide for the roundups that I’ve created.
|Samsonite Freeform Hardside Expandable||Best Overall|
|Olympia 8 Pocket Rolling Duffel Bag||Budget Pick|
|Lucas Designer Luggage Collection||Upgrade Pick|